Until now, uterine fibroids were commonly treated surgically with or without short-term pre-operative medical treatments with either SPRM (Ulipristal acetate 5mg – Esmya®) or GnRh-Agonists.
There was a growing demand from patients for a long-term medical treatment, as surgery may not be a suitable option for all of them, e.g. for medical or personal reasons or in perimenopausal women who would rather wait for the symptoms of uterine fibroids decrease as result of menopause or women who are planning to become pregnant in the future.
Since 2015 Esmya® is approved for the intermittent use in moderate to severe symptoms of uterine fibroids1 providing the first long-term medical treatment option for many women.
Esmya® is an oral selective progesterone receptor modulator (SPRM) that provides2:
- Fast, reliable and sustained bleeding control7
- Significant and sustained reductions in fibroid volume7
- Improved quality of life, to the level of healthy subjects7
- Efficacy on fibroid and associated symptom maintenance during off-treatment periods7
- Safe treatment for long-term symptom management – repeated treatment courses did not increase the occurrence of adverse events7